The Open Enrollment Period is a set time that comes around once a year when you can sign up for medical or dental insurance. To enroll in an insurance plan outside of the Open Enrollment Period, you must experience what’s called a “qualifying event” – major life changes that allow you to add someone to your current plan, or that cause you to lose your current coverage.
If you think you might be eligible to enroll, don’t delay! You can only enroll and make a change to your health coverage with a qualified life event during a specific time frame.
Already know about qualifying events? Ready to enroll? Complete Insurance form.
Qualifying events include:
- New student (US Citizen) at ISU registered for 5 credits or more
- Marriage/domestic partnership
- Birth or adoption
- Loss of prior health or dental coverage
- Spouse and/or child(ren) arriving to the U.S. from another country
- Yourself, Spouse and/or child(ren) leaving the U.S.
- Becoming eligible for an Assistantship
- Beginning of a new academic semester at ISU (can enroll in Medical only within 30 days of the start of the semester)
Deadline for enrollment:
- Must be completed within 30 days of a qualifying event
- EXCEPTION: Must be completed within 60 days of a birth or adoption of child
How to add health or dental coverage after a qualifying event:
- Enroll with your qualifying event by completing the Insurance form here.
2. Everyone enrolling with a qualifying event must provide documented proof of the event unless it is due to the new academic semester (Medical only)
Examples of documentation needed:
- Loss of coverage—A letter from your former insurance provider or employer listing the last day of coverage
- Arriving in U.S.—A copy of a stamped passport
- Marriage—A complete Domestic Partnership form
- Leaving the U.S. - Copy of paid plan ticket or boarding pass
For questions about providing documented proof of your qualifying event, call the ISU SSHIP office at 515-294-4800 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to drop ISU SSHIP health or dental coverage during the plan year:
- Health Insurance: Please Contact the ISU SSHIP Office at 515-294-4800 or 877-477-7485.
- Dental Insurance:
- You are unable to drop coverage once enrolled; enrollment will end at the end of the plan year.
- Only new students can enroll in dental at the start of each semester
- Loss of other dental insurance - an exsisiting student can enroll in the ISU dental with documented proof of the loss.